Muscle Up Technique
Courtesy of CrossFit HQ. Anyone who has gotten muscle ups can relate and fondly remembers the feeling. For those who haven’t, don’t worry. Today is the day you get closer to it, or…maybe today is the day you get your first!
Which reminds me….
Congrats to Vashon Bynum on his first muscle up Wednesday. This is a pic of him crossing it off the Goal whiteboard. See that ear-to-ear smile? I promise each and every one of you, you will have the same look when you get your first!
This would be a good time to establish a new 1RM
Record heaviest weight used to comments/www.logwod.com
Let’s take it back to basics. Taken directly from the CrossFit Training Guide
• Stance = hip width
• Hands just outside the shoulders
• Bar in front, resting on the “rack” or “shelf” created
by the shoulders
• Elbows down and in front of bar; elbows are lower than
in the front squat
• Tight midsection
• Closed grip, with thumbs around the bar
• Drive through heels; keep the whole body rigid; tight
• Bar travels straight up to locked out, with active
shoulders, directly overhead
• Head accommodates bar (bar path is a straight line)
PRIMARY POINTS OF PERFORMANCE:
• Good setup
• Constant tightness in the midsection, ribs locked down
• Overhead and active shoulder at the top of the press;
overhead means that the bar is over or just behind the
arch of the foot, with the shoulder angle fully open
• Bar travels straight up
MAKE EVERY REP COUNT!
Stretch shoulder with a band and use lacrosse ball to hit the deltoid